Monday, January 10, 2011

ceramic journal continued

With this as my starting point I began to experiment with making hexagonal cubes.
first the clay. I experimented with paper clay both porcelain and stoneware mix. The porcelain paper clay was premixed from supplier and the stoneware I made myself with tissue paper and slip.



I also tried dipping pipecleaners in slip .  I wrapped some of these coils with thin stips of the same clay and found this to be the most like the effect I was looking for.



So using ordinary stoneware, I extruded coils long enough to cut to shape. I then cut and joined small pieces to create a hexagonal grid similar to that of the chicken wire.

                      

Then using tubes of card for support I constructed the first tier of my object. I then wrapped each column or coil with thin strips of clay.




No comments:

Post a Comment